 |
| pile of brush now gone, small trees saved from underneath, now leaning sideways |
 |
| garage trim now stained, waiting for the door to come, almost completed |
 |
| pieces of wood placed, in an ingenious design, resembling shutters |
 |
| cherry blossoms hang, giving visitors a clue, to our hidden place |
 |
| lovely glass flowers, await hungry hummingbirds, perfect resting spot |
 |
| front door painted brown, much more appealing entrance, pink door gone for good |
we’ve been spending all of our time working on outside tasks these past weeks. Jason has been clearing brush and spreading dirt around to even out and build up the yard. the huge brush pile that was in the back yard is now gone! Jason got it cleared out and the ground under it smoothed out. the yard looks much bigger now and you can see through to the woods. we’ve had several loads of dirt delivered, and Jason has been working on smoothing those out into the yard. it’s starting to take shape. now if the rain would go away and let us work. (it is POURING outside as i type this.)
i’ve been working on staining the rest of the exterior trim. i finished the garage and have started on the house. it looks awesome…the colour we chose is perfect. it has this distressed look…as if it’s been there for years. we ordered a garage door a few weeks ago. it will have to be stained before it gets installed. that’s still four to six weeks down the road so i have time to finish up all the other staining. the porch is what i am dreading the most.
Jason came up with a great idea for our two “windows” on the right side of the house. he placed pieces of wood vertically side by side to create “shutters.” they have been stained and look great.
i got our mailbox post painted and hung the sign my sister and her fiancĂ© made us on it. i also found the perfect spot to hang the pretty hummingbird feeder my aunt got me…i can watch the hummingbirds from the kitchen windows. i also got the exterior doors painted. they look much better…i was getting tired of the pinkish colour of the primer!
2 comments:
I have been thinking about your blog and your lovely spot there in the woods of Tennessee. Have you read Aldo Leopold's "A Sand County Almanac"? It is the bible for conservationists in the north of America. Leopold writes in painstaking detail about the 150 acres he purchased in the heart of Wisconsin. Anyway, I was reading some of it the other day and began to wonder what kind of birdsong you have there at the Pagoda. I was picturing you in the quiet still of early morning. Have you had time to do any identifying yet?
Deborah
I haven't read that, but it sounds very interesting. I haven't had time to do much identifying. There was one cardinal that made his presence known this Spring by attacking the windows. Poor little guy must have thought another handsome cardinal was moving into his territory. I placed decals on the window that stopped this behaviour; luckily he wasn't hurt.
I've also noticed a hummingbird that is fond of our little trees in the front yard. Jason has even seen it. It's very loud!
We have a Chuck-Wills-Widow that comes out each night and repeats it's name over and over. We've also noticed two bats here lately.
I'm looking forward to when I do get to sit quietly in the mornings and absorb everything around me. I hope to get to know every acre, every tree, every critter (as we've been calling them) of our place here.
Post a Comment